These are the major activities that the boosters assist the band with.
The Band Boosters organize events where the band performs, like the Showcase and Chicken BBQ, and assist with the other band performances.
- Football games
- Showcase of Bands
- Parades: Local parades, Annual trips (with an extended trip every 4 years).
- Concerts: Holiday, Winter.
- OMEA Performances: Adjudicated events for solo & ensemble and large group.
- Chicken BBQ: In the May timeframe. Also a fund raiser.
The boosters help take care of the details to keep the bands running smoothly. Below is more about each band operation and the volunteer opportunities for each.
Uniforms: Marching band uniforms and high school concert wear
- Uniform fitting: Assist with checking uniform sizes (August)
- Uniform repair: Assist with mending uniforms: sewing buttons, stitching ripped seams, etc. (All year)
Senior banners: Every Senior gets a banner made by their parents
- Buying & cutting fabric, hosting events to cut fabric and assemble banners (September – October)
Candlelight: After the last football game, the Seniors pass on their marching band leadership to the Juniors
- Coordinate food, supplies, set-up, and other aspects of the event (October)
Band banquet: End-of-season awards and dinner for HS students and parents
- Decorations, centerpieces, glassware, cakes, drinks, menu and other planning for the event (March – May)
Booster wear: AWBB-logo items for students, parents and fans
- Coordinate inventory and manage volunteers to sell at football games, Chicken BBQ, and other events (All year)
Videography: Record the bands
- Videotape band performances, create and sell DVDs (All year)
General’s Express: Drive the truck and trailer
- Maintain the truck and trailer, drive to away football games, parades and other trips (All year)
Hospitality: Refreshments for the bands
- Buy and distribute water for parades, other refreshments for home football games (All year)
Scholarships: AWBB awards scholarships and manages others for the bands
- Handle the announcement of scholarship opportunities, review and judge submissions and award scholarships (Spring)
Nominations: Recruit volunteers to run for executive offices
- Find volunteers to run for AWBB positions, present slate of candidates for voting (All year)
Booster leadership: Serve in one of four officer positions (President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary)
- Treasurer is a two-year position; Vice President becomes President the following year, so elections are for Secretary (annually), Vice-President (annually), and Treasurer (alternating years)
We help raise money for the band program.
- Golf Ecology: We earn money by taking care of the trash at golf tournaments. And we have fun, too! We have done ecology at the LPGA event for many years and the last few US Senior Opens.
- Fruit Sale: We sell in October, turn in orders in November, and deliver the fruit, frozen food and flowers in December in time for the holidays.
- Community Rewards: When you shop at Kroger and/or Meijer, AWBB can get donations.
- Restaurant patronage: Eat good food, visit with other boosters and help a local restaurant.
- Major performances: The Showcase of Bands and Chicken BBQ are performances that also help us raise funds for the band program.
- Friends & Patrons. We accept donations from local businesses and individuals. Donations are used to support the instrumental music program throughout the year.